On August 30, 2021, National Investment Commission With Support From The African Development Bank Releases Report on the Special Agro-Industrial Processing Zone (SAPZ) Project.
The Government of Liberia through the National Investment Commission is expected to receive funding from the African Development Bank (AfDB) towards the preparation and implementation of the Special Agro-Industrial Processing Zone (SAPZ) Project.
The Special Economic Zone (SEZ) and Special Agro-Industrial Processing Zone (SAPZ) Project Development Objectives (PDO) are to:
- Create a better business environment for increased investment in the agro industrial sector;
- Create opportunities for investments at the industrial level and coordinate the integration of small holder farms, and agro processing industry into sustained agro value chains and;
- Improve capacities and skills to benefit from new agribusiness employment and value chain opportunities.
The project is structured around three related components; including:
- Support the development of Climate-resilient Infrastructure to attract investments into Agricultural Value addition/industrialization;
- Support Business Competitiveness, enable skills and climate-smart agricultural value chain development and strengthen farmer coordination and
- Strengthen Institutional Capacity, Project Coordination & Management.
The development and implementation of the Project’s objectives and sub-components under the Special Agro-Processing Zone (SAPZ) are associated with environmental and social risks and impacts and pursuant to the funding requirements as well as the national environmental guidelines, these impacts must be evaluated, identified, and mitigated accordingly. In lieu of these requirements, the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) is prepared. The ESIA seeks to assess the project development and identify both the potential negative and positive impacts arising from the construction and operation phases of the project and propose sustainable mitigation measures and environmental management and monitoring programs that address these impacts.
National Investment Commission with support from Partners releases the 5th Edition Investor’s Guide to Liberia